13 September 2008

Feature Exhibit Opens

Art in the Age of Steam: Europe, America and the Railway, 1830–1960 opened today. My tiny little part in the exhibit was working on the lighting.

I’m most impressed with the diversity of work in the show. There is variety in terms of media, subjects, styles, and time periods. The group of work is happily dense, and for me the increasing modernity of the work was a wonderful surprise at the end of the exhibit. While I tend to be critical of chronologically ordered experiences I felt as though it was a driving force in this exhibit and created an exciting pace and dramatic build.

I was excited to hear that the exhibit will be featured in a segment on Sunday Morning (one of my favorite TV shows). With Union Station and the still active train yards, Kansas City is an excellent host city and heightens the poignancy of the exhibits theses and messages.

No comments: